McCormick ends BC skid by clinching win over Malone
Tornados top the Pioneers, 6-3
Hilton Head, S.C. - The Tornados swept the doubles matches and took the top three singles matches, capped by Scott McCormick’s win at No. 1 singles, on their way to the 6-3 win over Malone University on Tuesday afternoon.
With the win, Brevard snaps a two-match skid and improves to 2-5, while Malone falls to 1-6.
Jarred Fisher and Cole Altizer defeated Nathanael Rodd and David Cairns, 9-8 (7-3) at No. 1 doubles, while McCormick and Dorian Feron upended Tim Frazier and Nathan Davis on court two, 8-0. The Tornados duo of Jonathan Kuhn and Andrew Thompson completed the sweep at No. 3 doubles, topping Hunter Atkins and Alex Steinmetz, 8-3, to put Brevard up 3-0 heading into the singles competition.
The Tornados won at both No. 2 and No. 3 singles as Altizer overcame Davis and Shane Apps defeated Hunter Atkins, but did not clinch until McCormick topped Rodd at No. 1 singles, 6-2, 6-1 for the win. Malone recorded wins at No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 singles to finish the scoring.
Brevard is back in action on Wednesday, March 10th, as the Tornados continue play in Hilton Head, S.C., by taking on George Mason, with first serve coming at noon.
1. Scott McCormick (BC) def. Nathanael Rodd (MAL) 6-2, 6-1
2. Cole Altizer (BC) def. Nathan Davis (MAL) 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Shane Apps (BC) def. Hunter Atkins (MAL) 5-0, retired
4. Tim Frazier (MAL) def. Gary Sugg (BC) 6-3, 7-5
5. Alex Steinmetz (MAL) def. Jonathan Lavelle (BC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Jonathan Snyder (MAL) def. Travis Wireback (BC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Jarred Fisher/Cole Altizer (BC) def. Nathanael Rodd/David Cairns (MAL) 9-8 (7-3)
2. Scott McCormick/Dorian Feron (BC) def. Tim Frazier/Nathan Davis (MAL) 8-0
3. Jonathan Kuhn/Andrew Thompson (BC) def. Hunter Atkins/Alex Steinmetz (MAL) 8-3