Shaeffer clinches match as Tornados run streak to nineMarch 26, 2010
Brevard defeats Wingate, 6-3
Brevard, N.C. - The Tornados took points at the top two double positions and the top four singles spots capped by Lindsay Shaeffer’s 6-3, 6-1 victory over Kara Stasikelis, as Brevard topped visiting Wingate at the BC Tennis Complex, 6-3.
With the win, Brevard improves to 9-2 on the season, 2-0 in South Atlantic Conference play, while Wingate falls to 9-6, 4-2 in SAC competition.
The Bulldogs took the point on doubles court No. 1 with Stasikelis and Kelli Ferguson teaming up to defeat Kim Dixon and Shaeffer. Brevard rallied to take the other two points with the teams of Claire Dillman/Lindsay Hostetter and Jennifer Nyman/Kayley Duval topping the Wingate duos of Hollyn Alberghini/Samantha Alschlager and Ewa Opala/Helen Goreski.
In singles play, Shaeffer, Hostetter, Dillman and Duval all recorded wins for the Tornados on courts one through four, with Shaeffer clinching the match by winning the all important fifth point. Alschlager and Opala recorded wins for the Bulldogs on courts five and six to round out the match.
Brevard is back on the courts on Saturday, March 27th, as Coach Paul Thomson’s team travels to Greeneville, Tenn. to take on Tusculum. First serve is scheduled for 1 p.m.
1. Lindsay Shaeffer (BCW) def. Kara Stasikelis (WIN) 6-3, 6-4
2. Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) def. Kelli Ferguson (WIN) 6-1, 6-1
3. Claire Dillman (BCW) def. Hollyn Alberghini (WIN) 6-1, 6-1
4. Kayley Duval (BCW) def. Helen Goreski (WIN) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Samantha Alschlager (WIN) def. Kim Dixon (BCW) 6-2, 6-3
6. Ewa Opala (WIN) def. Elise Labus (BCW) 6-2, 7-5
1. Kara Stasikelis/Kelli Ferguson (WIN) def. Kim Dixon/Lindsay Shaeffer (BCW) 8-5
2. Claire Dillman/Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) def. Hollyn Alberghini/Samantha Alschlager (WIN) 8-4
3. Jennifer Nyman/Kayley Duval (BCW) def. Ewa Opala/Helen Goreski (WIN) 8-5