MacNeil leads Tornados to victory over Furman, 4-3
Freshman clinches match with victory at #4 singles
Greenville, S.C. - Sam MacNeil teamed up with Cole Altizer to give the Tornados the doubles’ point and then clinched the match at #4 singles in defeating Bobby Browning, 6-4, 6-3 as the Tornados won their season opener on the road against Furman University, 4-3.
The Tornados improve to 1-0 on the season, while Furman falls to 0-7.
Scott McCormick and Beau Wills combined to defeat Joel Cook and Bobby Browning at #1 Doubles and Altizer and MacNeil defeated Ryan Combs and Tyler Snook at the #2 position as the Tornados captured the first point of the match, despite a setback at #3 doubles as Josh Richmond and Austin Hooker defeated Shane Apps and Jarred Fisher.
In singles competition, MacNeil’s victory at #4 singles capped singles victories by McCormick and Wills as the Tornados defeated the host Paladins in winning their season opener at the Mickel Tennis Center.
The Tornados continue on the road as they travel to Misenheimer, N.C. to take on Pfeiffer University. Doubles matches between the Tornados and Falcons at the Knapp Tennis Center begin at 3 p.m.
1. Scott McCormick (BCM) def. Tyler Snook (FUR) 6-1, 6-1
2. Joel Cook (FUR) def. Cole Altizer (BCM) 6-4, 6-4
3. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Josh Richmond (FUR) 6-3, 6-0
4. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Bobby Browning (FUR) 6-4, 6-3
5. Nate Collins (FUR) def. Jarred Fisher (BCM) 7-6, 6-2
6. Robbie Aru (FUR) def. Shane Apps (BCM) 6-0, 6-2
1. Scott McCormick/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Joel Cook/Bobby Browning (FUR) 9-7
2. Cole Altizer/Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Ryan Combs/Tyler Snook (FUR) 8-2
3. Josh Richmond/Austin Hooker (FUR) def. Shane Apps/Jarred Fisher (BCM) 8-3