Tornados continue Tusculum skid with 6-3 victory
Apps clinches match at no. 6 singles
Brevard, N.C. - Brevard took two of the three doubles matches and Shane Apps clinched the victory for the Tornados at no. 6 singles as Brevard defeated visiting Tusculum College at the McCoy Tennis Complex on Saturday, 6-3.
The Tornados improve to 10-5 and remain undefeated in conference play at 4-0, while Tusculum falls to 6-10, 2-5 SAC.
Scott McCormick and Beau Wills opened the scoring for Brevard, defeating Luis Zamora and Gui Carvalho on court no. 1, 8-5. Cole Altizer and Sam MacNeil gave Brevard their second point in defeating Steven Lin and Tony Bujana on court no. 2. Shane Apps and Jarred Fisher nearly completed the sweep in no. 3 doubles, taking a 6-2 lead over Drew Kiser and Sam Groeneveld, but the Tusculum duo rallied back to take the set and win the first point for the Pioneers in their 8-6 victory.
In singles action, MacNeil took the first point for the Tornados on court no. 2, taking down Zamora in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0. MacNeil aced out in the last game, falling on the first point before serving four straight aces to close out the match. Altizer picked up the win on court no. 4, defeating Carvalho 6-1, 6-2 and Apps clinched the Brevard victory in no. 6 singles, topping Groeneveld, 6-0, 6-3.
Kiser defeated Fisher on court no. 5 to give the Pioneers their first point in singles competition, winning 6-3, 6-4, while McCormick won a back-and-forth contest against Bujana on court no. 1 to remain undefeated in conference play on the season, winning 6-4, 6-3.
The final match of the contest was also the match of the day on court no. 3 between Wills and Lin. Lin took the first set 6-0, while Wills rallied back to take set two 6-1. Heading into the final set, neither player was able to pull away from the other, heading into the tiebreaker where Lin finally defeated Wills, 7-6.
The Tornados will remain at home and in conference play as they host Carson-Newman College tomorrow afternoon at the McCoy Tennis Complex. Doubles play is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.
1. Scott McCormick (BCM) def. Tony Bujana (TCM) 6-4, 6-3
2. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Luis Zamora (TCM) 6-1, 6-0
3. Steven Lin (TCM) def. Beau Wills (BCM) 6-0, 1-6, 7-6
4. Cole Altizer (BCM) def. Gui Carvalho (TCM) 6-1, 6-2
5. Drew Kiser (TCM) def. Jarred Fisher (BCM) 6-3, 6-4
6. Shane Apps (BCM) def. Sam Groeneveld (TCM) 6-0, 6-3
1. Scott McCormick/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Luis Zamora/Gui Carvalho (TCM) 8-5
2. Cole Altizer/Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Steven Lin/Tony Bujana (TCM) 8-5
3. Drew Kiser/Sam Groeneveld (TCM) def. Shane Apps/Jarred Fisher (BCM) 8-6