McCormick and Wills go undefeated as Tornados top Carson-Newman
Brevard improves to 5-0 in SAC competition
Brevard, N.C. - The Brevard College men’s tennis team won their sixth consecutive match to remain undefeated in South Atlantic Conference play as they defeated visiting Carson-Newman College on Sunday afternoon, 8-1.
The Tornados improve to 11-5, 5-0 in SAC play, while Carson-Newman falls to 3-10, 0-5 in conference competition.
Scott McCormick and Beau Wills put Brevard on the board at the beginning of the match, winning at no. 1 doubles over Trent Slagle and Chris Acker, 8-0. Cole Altizer and Sam MacNeil defeated Adriano Kira and Paul Birdsong at the no. 2 flight, 8-5 and Shane Apps and Jarred Fisher completed the doubles sweep as they won 8-5 over Derek Holdway and Dalton Moore.
McCormick, the 20th-ranked player in the Southeast Region, won the first singles match on court no. 1, 6-0, 6-0 over Dusty Davis, taking his 13th consecutive match for the Tornados to remain undefeated in conference play on the season. McCormick showed his string of dominance in the match, dropping only a single point in the set on his way to the victory.
Wills clinched the match on court no. 3, defeating Holdway by a 6-0, 6-0 score to give Brevard the victory. MacNeil finished shortly after on court no. 2, topping Acker by a score of 6-1, 6-0 to put Brevard up 6-0 with three matches to play.
Apps continued the Tornados winning streak, taking his match in straight sets at the six flight, topping Moore 6-3, 6-2. However, Birdsong put Carson-Newman on the board with his victory on court no. 5 over Fisher, 6-3, 6-2.
Altizer concluded the afternoon on court no. 4, topping Kira 7-6, 6-4 in a tightly contested match to give Brevard the 8-1 victory.
The Tornados remain in conference play as they head to Mars Hill, N.C. to take on the Lions on Tuesday, April 5th at the Hart Tennis Center. Doubles competition between the SAC rivals is set to begin at 3 p.m.
1. Scott McCormick (BCM) def. Dusty Davis (C-NM) 6-0, 6-0
2. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Chris Acker (C-NM) 6-1, 6-0
3. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Derek Holdway (C-NM) 6-0, 6-0
4. Cole Altizer (BCM) def. Adriano Kira (C-NM) 7-6, 6-4
5. Paul Birdsong (C-NM) def. Jarred Fisher (BCM) 6-3, 6-2
6. Shane Apps (BCM) def. Dalton Moore (C-NM) 6-3, 6-2
1. Scott McCormick/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Trent Slagle/Chris Acker (C-NM) 8-0
2. Cole Altizer/Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Adriano Kira/Paul Birdsong (C-NM) 8-5
3. Shane Apps/Jarred Fisher (BCM) def. Derek Holdway/Dalton Moore (C-NM) 8-5