Brevard remains undefeated in SAC action with 7-2 victory
Tornados improve to 6-0 in conference play
Mars Hill, N.C. - The Tornados won their seventh straight match to remain undefeated in South Atlantic Conference action, toppling Mars Hill on Wednesday afternoon at the Hart Tennis Center, 7-2.
Brevard improves to 12-5, 6-0 in the SAC, while Mars Hill falls to 5-7, 3-3 in conference play.
Scott McCormick and Beau Wills won their ninth consecutive match at no. 1 doubles, topping Lucas Simm and Enrio Patriarca as the Lions retired in the match to give the Tornados the first point of the match. Cole Altizer and Sam MacNeil defeated Guilherme Lima and Stevan Stankovic to give the Tornados the victory on court no. 2, 8-4, while Carlos Oyaga and Brad Bassinger put Mars Hill on the board with their 8-2 victory on court no. 3.
McCormick led the way in single action as the 20th-ranked player in the region won his 14th straight match at the no. 1 singles spot, defeating Simm 6-3, 6-4. MacNeil continued his winning ways on court no. 2, winning 6-0, 6-1, while Wills improved his mark on the season, winning in a tough match on no. 3, 7-6, 7-6.
Altizer and Jarred Fisher both competed in three set matches, with Altizer proving to be victorious on court no. 4, falling in the first set 4-6, before rallying to take the next two, 6-4, 11-9. However, Stankovic topped Fisher to provide the Lions their lone point in singles competition, winning 4-6, 6-0, 10-8.
Apps closed out the match on court no. 6, winning 6-2, 6-2 over Zach High.
The Tornados are back in action on Friday, April 8th, as they host Lincoln Memorial University at the McCoy Tennis Complex at 3 p.m. Brevard will recognize their seniors, recognizing Scott McCormick, Cole Altizer and Shane Apps for their contributions to the program. Doubles competition between the Tornados and the Railsplitters is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m.
1. Scott McCormick (BCM) def. Lucas Simm (MHCM) 6-3, 6-4
2. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Guilherme Lima (MHCM) 6-0, 6-1
3. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Carlos Oyaga (MHCM) 7-6, 7-6
4. Cole Altizer (BCM) def. Brad Bassinger (MHCM) 4-6, 6-4, 11-9
5. Stevan Stankovic (MHCM) def. Jarred Fisher (BCM) 4-6, 6-0, 10-8
6. Shane Apps (BCM) def. Zach High (MHCM) 6-2, 6-2
1. Scott McCormick/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Lucas Simm/Enrico Patriarca (MHCM) 2-0, retired
2. Cole Altizer/Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Guilherme Lima/Stevan Stankovic (MHCM) 8-4
3. Carlos Oyaga/Brad Bassinger (MHCM) def. Jarred Fisher/Shane Apps (BCM) 8-2