Northam clinches BC win in season opener against Emmanuel
Tornados sweep doubles matches in defeating Lions
Franklin Springs, Ga. - The Brevard College men’s tennis team swept the doubles matches against the host Emmanuel College Lions and Rory Northam clinched the Brevard victory from the #3 singles position as the Tornados won their season opener on the road, 7-2.
The Tornados improve to 1-0 on the season, while the Lions fall to 1-3 in 2012.
Sam MacNeil and Beau Wills teamed up to give the Tornados the victory at #1 doubles, winning 8-3 over Tymon Smith and Pasha Zinchenko, 8-3, while Northam and Stefano Giovanolli topped Joao Lisboa and Matt Lynch on court no. 2, 8-2. Brevard completed the sweep in doubles play as George Finch and Jonathon Lavelle took the point with their 8-3 victory over Vic Knighton and Joaquin Marshall.
In singles play, Smith and Zinchenko achieved a manor of revenge against the Tornados top two as the Lions defeated MacNeil and Wills in three sets with Smith topping MacNeil 4-6, 7-6, 7-5, while Zinchenko downed Wills 2-6, 7-5, 7-5.
The Tornados closed out the match winning the final four sets, with Northam clinching the match with his 6-1, 6-4 victory over Lisboa on court no. 3. Giovanolli, Finch and Havens all won their first singles matches with the Tornados, topping Marshall, Lynch and Knighton respectively to take home the 7-2 victory.
Brevard returns to the road as they travel to Asheville, N.C. to take on NCAA Division I UNC Asheville. First serve between the Tornados and the Bulldogs is set for 3 p.m.
1. Tymon Smith (ECM) def. Sam MacNeil (BCM) 4-6, 7-6, 7-5
2. Pasha Zinchenko (ECM) def. Beau Wills (BCM) 2-6, 7-5, 7-5
3. Rory Northam (BCM) def. Joao Lisboa (ECM) 6-1, 6-4
4. Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) def. Joaquin Marshall (ECM) 6-4, 6-3
5. George Finch (BCM) def. Matt Lynch (ECM) 6-1, 6-2
6. Rob Havens (BCM) def. Vic Knighton (ECM) 6-3, 7-6
1. Sam MacNeil/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Tymon Smith/Pasha Zinchenko (ECM) 8-3
2. Rory Northam/Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) def. Joao Lisboa/Matt Lynch (ECM) 8-2
3. George Finch/Jonathon Lavelle (BCM) def. Vic Knighton/Joaquin Marshall (ECM) 8-3