Havens and Lavelle take doubles victory in BC 8-1 victory over HuskiesMarch 7, 2012
MacNeil clinches match in third set thriller against Sandhold
Hilton Head, S.C. - Sam MacNeil and Beau Wills completed the Tornados singles sweep in three set thrillers and Rob Havens and Jonathon Lavelle took their first doubles victory on the season as the Tornados topped Michigan Tech on Wednesday morning at Hilton Head High School, 8-1.
Brevard improves to 5-4 on the season, while the Huskies fall to 3-6.
The teams began the morning with singles play on the courts at Hilton Head High School, with Havens striking for the first point, topping Jeremy Strandberg on court no. 6, 6-1, 6-0. George Finch added the second BC point on court no. 5, finishing shortly after with a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Bryan Bartelt. Rory Northam added another point for the Tornados on court no. 3, topping James Konarske in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2, giving the Tornados the 3-0 advantage midway through the singles results.
Stefano Giovanolli bounced back from a defeat yesterday to continue the Tornados scoring streak with a 6-2, 6-2 victory on court no. 4, topping Andrew Kremkow, setting the stage for either Wills or MacNeil to clinch the match for Brevard.
MacNeil closed out his match first, bouncing back after dropping the first set to Anders Sandhold, 6-3. The sophomore from Dunfermline, Scotland evened the score with a 6-3 victory in the second set, and clinched the Brevard victory with a 6-1 win in the deciding third set.
Wills took the first set on court no. 2 over Luka Stupar, 6-4, but was unable to complete the set sweep, falling in the second set 7-5. However, Wills rallied to complete the BC singles sweep with a 6-0 victory in the final singles match of the day to put Brevard up 6-0 heading into doubles competition.
Michigan Tech took their first point of the match on court no. 2 in doubles play as Kremkow and Konarske topped Northam and Giovanolli, 8-5, but Havens and Lavelle answered on court no. 3 with their first doubles victory in three tries, topping Bartelt and Strandberg, 8-5. MacNeil and Wills teamed up to close out the match with an 8-5 victory over Sandhold and Stupar to finish the 8-1 Brevard win.
The Tornados remain on Spring Break as they take on Davis & Elkins tomorrow in Hilton Head, S.C.
1. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Anders Sandholm (MTU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Luka Stupar (MTU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-0
3. Rory Northam (BCM) def. James Konarske (MTU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) def. Andrew Kremkow (MTU) 6-2, 6-2
5. George Finch (BCM) def. Bryan Bartelt (MTU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Rob Havens (BCM) def. Jeremy Strandberg (MTU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Sam MacNeil/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Anders Sandholm/Luka Stupar (MTU) 8-5
2. Andrew Kremkow/James Konarske (MTU) def. Rory Northam/Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 8-5
3. Rob Havens/Jonathon Lavelle (BCM) def. Bryan Bartelt/Jeremy Strandberg (MTU) 8-5