Nyman clinches Brevard sweep over Lenoir-RhyneMarch 24, 2012
Tornados improve to 2-0 in conference play
Hickory, N.C. - Brevard College improved to 2-0 in South Atlantic Conference play as the BC women’s tennis team swept host Lenoir-Rhyne University on Saturday afternoon, with Jennifer Nyman picking up the clinching win in Brevard’s 9-0 victory over the Bears.
Brevard improves to 9-5 on the 2012 season, while Lenoir-Rhyne falls to 2-9, 0-6 in SAC competition on the season.
Claire Dillman and Michelle Prata recorded an 8-1 win on court no. 1 over Ivey Tant and Kelsey Love, while Lindsay Hostetter and Jennifer Nyman put Brevard up 2-0 with an 8-0 victory over Maggie Brown and Blair McDonough on court no. 2. Elise Labus and Ana Drummond took the final point on court no. 3 by forfeit, as the Bears were unable to field a squad.
In singles action, Drummond picked up the win on court on. 6 to put Brevard within one point of the victory, while Nyman clinched the BC win with a 6-0, 6-1 win on court no. 5 over McDonough.
Dillman and Labus topped their respective opponents on courts 2 and 4 with matching 6-0, 6-0 scores, while Prata defeated Mariel Mena on court no. 3, 6-1, 6-0. Hostetter completed the Brevard sweep with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Love on court no. 1.
Brevard remains on the road as the Tornados travel to Anderson, S.C., remaining in South Atlantic Conference action as they take on Anderson University. First serve in doubles play between the Tornados and the Trojans is set for 2 p.m.
1. Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) def. Kelsey Love (L-R) 6-1, 6-3
2. Claire Dillman (BCW) def. Ivey Tant (L-R) 6-0, 6-0
3. Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Mariel Mena (L-R) 6-1, 6-0
4. Elise Labus (BCW) def. Maggie Brown (L-R) 6-0, 6-0
5. Jennifer Nyman (BCW) def. Blair McDonough (L-R) 6-0, 6-1
6. Ana Drummond (BCW) def. No player (L-R), by forfeit
1. Claire Dillman/Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Ivey Tant/Kelsey Love (L-R) 8-1
2. Lindsay Hostetter/Jennifer Nyman (BCW) def. Maggie Brown/Blair McDonough (L-R) 8-0
3. Elise Labus/Ana Drummond (BCW) def. No player/No player (L-R), by forfeit