MacNeil clinches Tornados conference win, 6-3
Wills takes seventh straight singles win in victory over Bears
Hickory, N.C. - Sam MacNeil clinched Brevard’s first South Atlantic Conference win on the season and Beau Wills remained undefeated on the week as the Tornados topped Lenoir-Rhyne on Saturday afternoon, 6-3.
Brevard improves to 7-8, 1-1 in conference action, while Lenoir-Rhyne falls to 1-9, 0-6 in SAC play.
MacNeil and Wills topped Aroon Khatter and Robby Blackburn on court no. 1, 8-4, while Stefano Giovanolli and George Finch recorded their first doubles victory on the season with an 8-6 win on court no. 2 over Michael Owens and David Richardson. Jarod Styres and Graydon Dunn gave the Bears their first point on the afternoon, topping Rory Northam and Rob Havens on court no. 3, 8-2.
In singles play, Wills topped Blackburn on court no. 2, winning his seventh consecutive singles win, 6-0, 6-0. Northam topped Owens on court no. 3, 6-2, 6-1 to push the Tornados within one point of the victory, before MacNeil clinched the BC win, topping Khatter on court no. 1, 6-2, 6-1.
Rob Havens added the final Brevard point on court no. 6, topping Jackson, 6-4, 6-4.
Richardson and Styres gave the Bears their points on courts 4 and 5, topping Giovanolli and Finch in straight sets to close out the match.
Brevard remains in South Atlantic Conference play as the Tornados return to the road on Wednesday, March 28th, as they travel to Anderson, S.C. to take on Anderson University. First serve in doubles competition between the Tornados and the Trojans is set for 2 p.m.
1. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Aroon Khatter (L-R) 6-2, 6-1
2. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Robby Blackburn (L-R) 6-0, 6-0
3. Rory Northam (BCM) def. Michael Owens (L-R) 6-2, 6-1
4. David Richardson (L-R) def. Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 6-1, 6-2
5. Jarod Styres (L-R) def. George Finch (BCM) 6-3, 7-5
6. Rob Havens (BCM) def. David Jackson (L-R) 6-4, 6-4
1. Sam MacNeil/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Aroon Khatter/Robby Blackburn (L-R) 8-4
2. Stefano Giovanolli/George Finch (BCM) def. Michael Owens/David Richardson (L-R) 8-6
3. Jarod Styres/Graydon Dunn (L-R) def. Rory Northam/Rob Havens (BCM) 8-2