MacNeil and Wills continue to roll, but Railsplitters top Brevard, 6-3April 9, 2012
Brevard duo remains undefeated in doubles play in 2012
Harrogate, Tenn. - Sam MacNeil won his 16th consecutive SAC single match, topping Philipp Hoffman in a three-set thriller, and Beau Wills snapped a two match skid with a win on court no. 2, but Lincoln Memorial took four of the six singles matches in topping Brevard on Monday afternoon, 6-3.
Brevard falls to 7-13, 1-6 in South Atlantic Conference play, while Lincoln Memorial improves to 13-7, 7-2 in SAC action after the win on the LMU Tennis Courts.
Will Sparks and Marcelo Alvim opened the match with an 8-0 victory over Rory Northam and Jonathon Lavelle on court no. 2, and Michael Koenen and Alexey Minevskiy topped George Finch and Stefano Giovanolli on court no. 3 to guarantee the Railsplitters the lead heading into singles play.
MacNeil and Wills put Brevard on the board, topping Hoffman and Tom Goossens on court no. 1 for the first BC point, as the Tornados sophomore duo improved to 7-0 on the season with their 8-3 victory.
Wills snapped his two match skid on court no. 2 against Sparks, winning 6-0, 6-2 for the first point in singles play, evening the score, but Alvim topped Northam on court no. 3 in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3 to put LMU back on top.
MacNeil continued his run through the South Atlantic Conference on court no. 1, topping Hoffman in three sets. The sophomore from Dunfermline, Scotland won the first set, 6-4, but fell to Hoffman in the second set, 6-2 to even the match. MacNeil took the third set, improving to 7-0 in the conference in singles action, winning 6-2 to give Brevard their third point of the match.
Minevskiy, Goossens and Koenen closed out the match, with Goossens clinching the match on court no. 5 with a 6-2, 6-1 victory.
Brevard remains on the road as the Tornados travel to Greeneville, Tenn. to take on Tusculum College on Tuesday, April 10th. First serve between the Tornados and the Pioneers is set for 1:30 p.m.
1. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Philipp Hoffmann (LMU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
2. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Will Sparks (LMU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Marcelo Alvim (LMU) def. Rory Northam (BCM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Alexey Minevskiy (LMU) def. Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 6-2, 6-1
5. Tom Goossens (LMU) def. George Finch (BCM) 6-2, 6-1
6. Michael Koenen (LMU) def. Rob Havens (BCM) 6-3, 6-4
1. Sam MacNeil/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Philipp Hoffmann/Tom Goossens (LMU) 8-3
2. Will Sparks/Marcelo Alvim (LMU) def. Rory Northam/Jonathon Lavelle (BCM) 8-0
3. Michael Koenen/Alexey Minevskiy (LMU) def. George Finch/Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 8-2