Tornados fall in 2012 season finale to Newberry, 7-2
Wills and MacNeil end season with singles wins in Brevard loss
Newberry, S.C. - Sam MacNeil and Beau Wills suffered their first South Atlantic Conference defeat in the 2012 season, but the sophomore duo were able to bounce back and close out the season with singles victories on courts 1 and 2 as the Tornados fell on the road in the season finale to Newberry, 7-2.
Brevard falls to 7-15, 1-8 in the South Atlantic Conference, while Newberry improves to 13-11, 4-5 in conference play.
Carlos Nicolopulos and Cal Loveridge opened the scoring in the match, topping Stefano Giovanolli and George Finch on court no. 3, 8-1, while David Sons and Mohammed Chakir defeated Rory Northam and Jonathon Lavelle on court no. 2, 8-2 to assure Newberry the lead heading into singles play. Michael Saunders and Vinicius Botelho completed the Wolves sweep and handed the Tornados top duo their first conference loss on the season, building a 7-2 lead before closing out the set with an 8-5 win.
MacNeil bounced back in singles play, improving to 9-0 in conference play at no. 1 singles, defeating Saunders in straight sets 6-2, 6-1. Chakir followed with a 6-2, 6-4 win on court no. 3 against Northam, but Wills staved off the clinching point in topping Botelho on court no. 2, 7-5, 7-6.
Newberry clinched the match on court no. 4 as Loveridge topped Giovanolli in straight sets and the Wolves took the final two matches to end the afternoon and the Tornados season at the Cannon Tennis Complex.
1. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Michael Saunders (NEWM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Vinicius Botelho (NEWM) 7-5, 7-6 (4-0)
3. Mohammed Chakir (NEWM) def. Rory Northam (BCM) 6-2, 6-4
4. Cal Loveridge (NEWM) def. Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 6-3, 7-6 (7-1)
5. Carlos Nicolopulos (NEWM) def. George Finch (BCM) 6-4, 6-3
6. David Sons (NEWM) def. Rob Havens (BCM) 7-5, 6-2
1. Michael Saunders/Vinicius Botelho (NEWM) def. Sam MacNeil/Beau Wills (BCM) 8-5
2. David Sons/Mohammed Chakir (NEWM) def. Rory Northam/Jonathon Lavelle (BCM) 8-2
3. Carlos Nicolopulos/Cal Loveridge (NEWM) def. Stefano Giovanolli/George Finch (BCM) 8-1