Prata clinches as Brevard advances to Food Lion SAC semifinals
Tornados defeat Mars Hill in opening round of conference tournament
Rock Hill, S.C. - For the fourth consecutive season the Tornados women’s tennis team earned passage into the semifinals of the Food Lion South Atlantic Conference tournament, defeating #5 Mars Hill in the first round at the Rock Hill Tennis Center, 5-1.
Michelle Prata clinched the Brevard victory on Thursday morning on court no. 3, defeating Anna Rickenbaker in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1 to advance the Tornados to a Friday morning showdown against tournament top-seed Wingate University. First serve in doubles play between the four-seeded Tornados and the top-seed Bulldogs is set for 9 a.m.
Brevard earned the first point of the match at no. 3 doubles as the Tornados duo of Elise Labus and Ana Drummond were unopposed on the court.
In the two contested doubles matches, Mars Hill evened the score as Tatiana Dualiby and Jacqueline Rouquet topped Lindsay Hostetter and Jennifer Nyman on court no. 2, 8-2 to put the Lions on the board. Claire Dillman and Prata gave the Tornados the lead heading into singles play with an 8-6 victory on court no. 1 as the All-SAC Second Team doubles partners topped Erika Pinate and Rickenbaker.
Drummond picked up the victory on court no. 6 due to forfeit to give Brevard the 3-1 advantage, and Nyman quickly put Brevard in place to take the match as the senior defeated Jordan Dockery on court no. 5, 6-0, 6-0.
Prata followed through the deciding match to push Brevard into the semifinals with her straight set victory.
1. Claire Dillman (BCW) vs. Erika Pinate (MHCW) 4-6, unfinished
2. Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) vs. Tatiana Dualiby (MHCW) 3-6, 3-4, unfinished
3. Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Anna Rickenbaker (MHCW) 6-2, 6-1
4. Elise Labus (BCW) vs. Jacqueline Rouquet (MHCW) 2-6, 3-5, unfinished
5. Jennifer Nyman (BCW) def. Jordan Dockery (MHCW) 6-0, 6-0
6. Ana Drummond (BCW) def. No player (MHCW), by forfeit
1. Claire Dillman/Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Erika Pinate/Anna Rickenbaker (MHCW) 8-6
2. Tatiana Dualiby/Jacqueline Rouquet (MHCW) def. Lindsay Hostetter/Jennifer Nyman (BCW) 8-2
3. Elise Labus/Ana Drummond (BCW) def. No player/No player (MHCW), by forfeit