Tornados see season end in Food Lion SAC Championship SemifinalsApril 20, 2012
Hostetter and Nyman record victory in final collegiate doubles match
Rock Hill, S.C. - Lindsay Hostetter and Jennifer Nyman combined to win their final doubles match in their outstanding careers with the Tornados, but Brevard was unable to extend their season as the four-seed Tornados fell to the top-seed Wingate Bulldogs on Friday morning at the Rock Hill Tennis Center, 5-1.
Brevard advanced to the semifinals after their 5-1 victory over five-seed Mars Hill yesterday morning, but saw their season end at the hands of the Bulldogs, falling in the semifinals for the third consecutive season.
Wingate struck first, earning the first two points of the match as Morgan Winston and Kelli Ferguson defeated Elise Labus and Ana Drummond on court no. 3, 8-1, while Ali Evers and Becca Thomas topped Claire Dillman and Michelle Prata on court no. 1, 8-2. Hostetter and Nyman struck back for the Tornados, winning on court no. 2, 8-5, topping Olivia Poole and Tiffany Williams to send the teams into singles play with the Bulldogs holding the 2-1 advantage.
Thomas avenged the doubles defeat for the Bulldogs in singles play, winning on court no. 2 to push Wingate up to 3-1, with a 6-2, 6-1 defeat of Hostetter. Ferguson added a 6-2, 6-1 victory on court no. 5 for Wingate to put the Bulldogs within one point of the victory.
Williams clinched the match for Wingate, ending play on all courts with a 6-0, 6-0 victory on court no. 6 to end play.
Brevard ends the season 13-9 overall after earning their fourth consecutive trip to the Food Lion SAC Tournament Semifinal round.
1. Ali Evers (WU) vs. Claire Dillman (BCW) 7-6 (7-5), 1-2, unfinished
2. Becca Thomas (WU) def. Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) 6-1, 6-2
3. Olivia Poole (WU) vs. Michelle Prata (BCW) 7-6 (7-4), 3-2, unfinished
4. Morgan Winston (WU) vs. Elise Labus (BCW) 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
5. Kelli Ferguson (WU) def. Jennifer Nyman (BCW) 6-2, 6-1
6. Tiffany Williams (WU) def. Ana Drummond (BCW) 6-0, 6-0
1. Ali Evers/Becca Thomas (WU) def. Claire Dillman/Michelle Prata (BCW) 8-2
2. Lindsay Hostetter/Jennifer Nyman (BCW) def. Olivia Poole/Tiffany Williams (WU) 8-5
3. Morgan Winston/Kelli Ferguson (WU) def. Elise Labus/Ana Drummond (BCW) 8-1