Brevard College Men's Soccer Opens 2013 Campaign Against ErskineSeptember 6, 2013
BC looks to snap a three-match skid against the Flying Fleet
The Brevard College men’s soccer team looks to bounce back from a two-win 2012 season when it opens the 2013 campaign with a match against Erskine Saturday at 4 p.m. at Brevard College Soccer Field.
• BC head coach and athletic director Juan Mascaro enters his seventh season at the helm for the Tornados. Mascaro’s squad returns 16 players, including last season’s leading scorer Marcelo Betcer.
• The Tornados look to end a three-match losing skid to Erskine. Erskine has topped BC in its last three season openers, including a 3-2 decision in 2012.
• On Thursday, Erskine fell in its 2013 debut to Anderson by a 6-2 decision. Andrew Settlemire and Victor Nirennold provided the offense for the Flying Fleet.
• Senior goalkeeper Pauli Jussila will provide strength at the net after posting a 1.87 goals against average in seven appearances in 674:07 minutes last season. Jussila, a Valkeakoski, Finland, native amassed 36 saves, including five in a 1-0 overtime win at conference foe Tusculum on Sept. 11.
• Offensively, along with Betcer, Jami Uuttu looks to pace the squad after tying for the team lead in assists with two. Uuttu is one of three seniors on the BC roster along with Jussila and midfielder Adam Martin. Martin was one of six players to see action in all 16 matches during the ’12 season while attempting seven shots.
• Last week, Brevard was tabbed to finish 12th in the 2013 preseason coaches’ poll in the South Atlantic Conference while nationally-ranked No. 12 Wingate earned the top spot.
• Brevard has made admission free for all home games this season at the Brevard College Soccer Field. Fans are encouraged to come out and support the Tornados all season long on campus.