Brevard College Men's Soccer Returns Home to Battle KingSeptember 13, 2013
BC returns home following midweek road game
The Brevard College men’s soccer team returns home to battle King University in a nonconference matchup Saturday at 4 p.m. at Brevard Soccer Field in Brevard, N.C.
• BC fell at Belmont Abbey Wednesday, 3-1, to even out its record to 1-1-0. The Tornados drew first blood quickly following a goal by Ryan McPhillips in the 5th minute to take an early advantage. However, Belmont Abbey responded with three unanswered goals to seal the victory.
• Freshman Rhem Stubbs was tabbed South Atlantic Conference Men’s Soccer Player of the Week following his two-goal performance against Erskine last Saturday. Stubbs put the Tornados up 1-0 in the 40th minute before nailing the game-winner in the 116th minute.
• McPhillips has performed well in the early goings of the 2013 campaign by scoring a goal and gathering an assist in two matches. Marcelo Betcer leads the squad with eight shots while Paulo Silva has amassed five.
• This marks the first meeting for the two teams since at least 2008.
• King is 0-2-1 on the season. The two losses have been via shutout to Lee (1-0) and Tusculum (3-0). The Tornado fell to Tusculum Wednesday after allowing a pair of goals in the span of 32 seconds.
• BC head coach and Athletic Director Juan Mascaro enters his seventh season at the helm for the Tornados.
• Offensively, along with Betcer, Jami Uuttu looks to pace the squad after tying for the team lead in assists with two. Uuttu is one of three seniors on the BC roster along with Pauli Jussila and midfielder Adam Martin. Martin was one of six players to see action in all 16 matches during the 2012 season while attempting seven shots.
• Brevard was tabbed to finish 12th in the 2013 preseason coaches’ poll in the South Atlantic Conference while nationally-ranked No. 12 Wingate earned the top spot.