BC Set to Battle Anderson in Crucial MatchOctober 21, 2013
BC has four home wins on the year
Following a dramatic victory Saturday, BC returns to action Tuesday at 4 p.m. to host Anderson in a South Atlantic Conference bout at Brevard Soccer Field in Brevard, N.C.
• On Saturday, the Tornados won a 2-1 thriller against Catawba to notch their fourth win of the season. A header from Alec Goettl put BC up 1-0 in the seventh minute. After falling a man short due to two yellow cards, Catawba capitalized on the advantage with a goal in the 76th minute. However, thanks to pressure from Winston Haddock, the Indians goalie misjudged a ball and allowed an own goal in the 88th minute to give the Tornados a 2-1 lead.
• BC (4-8) has won more matches this season (four) than last season (two) and the most since the 2008 season. BC is 4-2 at home this season and has won consecutive home matches.
• No Tornado has started every match this season. Ryan McPhillips, Augusto Isern, Heath Turner, Haddock and Goettl have started all but one. Turner is second in the South Atlantic Conference with 55 saves while McPhillips paces the team with five goals, 11 points and 19 shots. 21 different Tornados have recorded a shot during the 2013 campaign.
• Rhem Stubbs, Paulo Silva, Mercelo Betcer, Jami Uuttu and Goettl have recorded double figures in the shot category this season.
• Anderson sports a 9-3-2, 4-3-1 SAC record and has lost only once in October. The Trojans fell to Lincoln Memorial Saturday, 1-0, after winning or tying their previous six matches. The Trojans have five wins on the road and have played in seven overtime games this season.
• Andre Carle will pace the Anderson offense while he leads the squad in shots (46), goals (10) and points (21). Carle sits third in the conference in goals and fourth in points. Netminder Bo Haug has been stout this season while he boasts the second best goals against average in the SAC (1.03). Haug has 47 saves on the year to go with three shutouts.
• Anderson has dominated BC in the series lately, blanking the Tornados in each of the last three meetings, including a 3-0 victory last season.
• BC head coach and Athletic Director Juan Mascaro enters his seventh season at the helm for the Tornados while assistant coach Bradley Morrison is in his first year.