BC Welcomes Lenoir-Rhyne in Home Finale
Postseason implications loom large in this match
In a virtual must win, the Brevard College men’s soccer team wraps up its 2013 home campaign on Senior Day when it welcomes Lenoir-Rhyne in a crucial South Atlantic Conference bout Wednesday afternoon at 4 p.m. at Brevard Soccer Field in Brevard, N.C.
• This matchup looks to be a thriller as both teams are in the hunt for the postseason entering the final week of the regular season. The top-eight teams make the SAC Soccer Championship Tournament. Currently, Lenoir-Rhyne (8-7-1, 3-5-1 SAC) sits in 9th with 10 points, while BC (5-9, 3-6 SAC) is in 10th with nine points. Both teams are chasing Catawba, who has 13 points. However, BC took care of business by defeating Catawba, 2-1, Oct. 19 to earn the tiebreaker while L-R suffered a 1-0 loss to them. If the Tornados lose, they are mathematically eliminated from postseason contention. With a tie, BC would need to win at Coker Saturday and have Catawba lose and have L-R lose or tie. With a win, BC would need a win OR a tie at Coker, a L-R loss OR tie and a Catawba loss. If BC wins both, it could jump as high as sixth in the standings depending on the outcome of other matches.
• On Friday, the Tornados dropped a 3-0 decision at Mars Hill while temperatures loomed around freezing. BC allowed a season-high 26 shots while Heath Turner made a season-high 12 saves.
• No Tornado has started every match this season. Ryan McPhillips, Augusto Isern, Winston Haddock, Alec Goettl and Turner have started all but one. Rhem Stubbs and Isern are the only two players to appear in every match this season. Turner leads the conference with 70 saves while McPhillips paces the team with five goals, 11 points and 21 shots. 21 different Tornados have recorded a shot during the 2013 campaign.
• L-R is no stranger to overtime as it has been in seven matches that exceeded 90 minutes, including four that went into double overtime. The Bears handed Newberry a 1-0 loss Saturday to snap a two-match losing skid.
• The Bears Ben Jones leads the SAC with 81 shots and paces the squad in goals (nine), points (18) and shots on goal (41). Gabriel Jones and Josh Alderson are tied for the team lead with three assists each. Goalie Stefan Dill has played every minute this season while accumulating 58 saves and five shutouts.
• L-R has won five consecutive matches against BC, including back-to-back 4-1 decisions.