Brevard wraps up fall season with a win over SAC opponentOctober 10, 2016
BREVARD, N.C. – Brevard College Men’s Tennis team sailed passed Mars Hill University by a score of 7-2 to capture the team’s first win over a SAC team since the 2011-2012 season. Brevard hosted Mars Hill and Belmont Abbey College in their final contest of the fall season this past Saturday. The matches do not count as a conference games since they were not played in the competitive season, but the win does give the Tornados momentum as they start preparing for their spring season.
Brevard took all three doubles matches in the contest against the Lions of Mars Hill. Sophomore, Tom Mittring (Bavaria, Germany) and Freshman Cre Still (Hendersonville, N.C.) partnered up to defeat Alberto Ortiz and Ben Reid by a score of 8-5 at No. 1. For the No. 2 match, Tim Hengst (Menden, Germany) and Will Christiansen (Crawford, Miss) would earn a victory due to a walkover. In the No. 3 match, freshman, JR Davis (Hixon, Tenn.) and senior, Christoph Plasa (Wegberg, Germany) would defeat Hunter Carlton and Jimmi Schwab 8-1.
The Tornados would take four out of six of the singles matches against the Lions. In the No. 1 match Tom Mittring would defeat Carlos Riesco 8-5. Mars Hill would earn victories in the No. 2 and No. 3 contests as Alberto Ortiz would narrowly beat Cre Still in a 8-6 contest, and Ben Reid would capture the win over JR Davis by a score of 8-4. This would be the only two wins for the Lions as the next three singles matches would all be wins for the Tornados. No. 4, Tim Hengst earned the win against Mars Hill’s Blake Covington 8-3. Will Christiansen defeated Hunter Carlton 8-2 in the No. 5 spot. Senior, Christoph Plasa would have a dominating victory over Jimmi Schwab 8-1 at No. 6.
The first match of the day did not go in the Tornados favor, as Brevard would fall to Belmont Abbey College 9-0. No. 1, Tom Mittring and Cre Still would play Juan Baez and Zach Blythe in a close doubles match as Baez and Blythe would end up taking the win 8-6. In the singles matches, Cre Still would play a close game against Grant Goldin 8-5. Will Christianson would fall to Carlos Nolasco 8-5, at No. 5.
This weekend’s matches wrapped up the Tornados’ fall season. Brevard will begin their competitive season February 4th as they open up with Southern Wesleyan in Central, S.C.
Brevard 7 Mars Hill 2
1. Tom Mittring/Cre Still (BC) def. Alberto Ortiz /Ben Reid (MH) 8-5
2.Tim Henst/Will Christiansen (BC) def. Carlos Riesco and Blake Covington (MH) walkover
1. Tom Mittring (BC) def. Carlos Riesco (MH) 8-5
2. Alberto Ortiz (MH) def. Cre Still (BC) 8-6
3. Ben Reid (MH) def. JR Davis (BC) 8-4
4. Tim Hengst (BC) def. Blake Covington (MH) 8-3
5. Will Christianson (BC) def. Hunter Carlton (MH) 8-2
6. Christoph Plasa (BC) def. Jimmi Schwab (MH) 8-1
Belmont Abbey 9 Brevard 0
1. Juan Baez/Zach Blythe (BAC) def. Tom Mittring/Cre Still (BC) 8-6
1. Juan Baez (BAC) def. Tom Mittring (BC) 8-4
2. Grant Goldin (BAC) def. Cre Still (BC) 8-5
3. George Barfoot (BAC) def. JR Davis (BC) 8-0
4. Zach Blythe (BAC) def. Tim Hengst (BC) 8-3
5. Carlos Moreno (BAC) def. Will Christiansen (BC) 8-5
6. Jacob Andress (BAC) def. Chris Plasa (BC) 8-2