Tennis opens up with a battle against Southern WesleyanFebruary 4, 2017
CENTRAL, S.C. - The Brevard College Men’s tennis team (1-3) opened up their 2017 season with a battle against Southern Wesleyan. The Tornados fell 3-6 to Southern Wesleyan, but each member of the team put up an impressive battle against the Warriors in the first match of the spring season.
Senior Christoph Plasa (Wegberg, Germany) won 7-6 and 6-4 in the No. 6 spot. The senior saved three set points in the first set tiebreaker to take the win, after being down 6-3. Tim Hengst (Menden, Germany) defeated Keegan Berkley, 6-4 7-5 at the No. 4 position.
Tom Mittring (Bavaria, Germany) and JR Davis (Hixon, Tenn.) defeated Keegan Barkley and Stan Grzeslo 8-2 in the doubles match at the No. 1 position. Will Christiansen and Chris Plasa took Urs Widow and Harry Reed into a 9-7 game at the No. 3 position.
Freshman Will Christiansen (Crawford, Miss.) played over two and a half hours at the No. 5 positition, in a battle against Harry Reed. Christiansen won the first set 2-6, and fell 6-3 in game two and 6-4 in the final set.
The Tornados will have a quick turnaround as they open up conference play tomorrow at Coker beginning at 1 p.m.
Brevard 3 Southern Wesleyan 6
2. C. Sandoval/B.Boliver (SWU) def. Tim Hengst/Cre Still (BC) 8-2
1. Camilo Sandoval (SWU) def. Tom Mittring (BC) 6-3, 6-3
2. Daniel Boliver (SWU) def. Cre Still (BC) 6-3, 7-6
3. Stan Grzrslo (SWU) def. JR Davis (BC) 6-4, 6-3
4. Tim Hengst (BC) def. Keegan Barkley (SWU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Harry Reed (SWU) def. Will Christiansen (BC) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Christoph Plasa (BC) def. Jacob Chesney (SWU) 7-6, 6-4