Tennis falls to CokerFebruary 5, 2017
HARTSVILLE, S.C. – The Brevard College Men’s tennis team (1-4, 0-1 SAC) fell 8-1 to Coker (1-1) on Sunday afternoon in their first conference match of the season. The Tornados had a quick turnaround after battling Southern Wesleyan on Saturday afternoon.
Freshman Will Christiansen (Crawford, Miss.) was credited with the only win for Brevard at the No. 5 spot. Cre Still (Hendersonville, N.C.) took Henrik Hellbe into three sets at the No. 2 position. Hellbe won the first set 6-4, while Still battled back in set two to win 4-6. Hellbe won the final set 6-3. Senior Christoph Plasa (Wegberg, Germany) fought Walker Long in three tough sets. Long took the first set 6-3, while Plasa had a dominating second set with a 4-6 win. Long would take the final set.
Tom Mittring (Bavaria, Germany) bounced back from a difficult first set against Mark Watt in the first set. Mittring fell 6-1 and 6-4 at the No. 1 position. JR Davis (Hixon, Tenn.) put up a good fight against Coker's Hunter Horton, falling 6-2 and 6-3 at the No. 3 spot.
Chris Plasa and Will Christiansen battled Felix Schweyer and Simon Bergbom to an 8-5 game in the doubles competition at the No. 3 position. Cre Still and Tim Hengst battled Mark Watt and Dominic Allan to an 8-3 game at the No. 2 position.
After a busy opening weekend, the Tornados will have a week to prepare for their first home match against Lincoln Memorial on Saturday, Feb. 11. The men’s match will begin at 1 p.m.
2. Mark Watt/Dominic Allan (Coker) def. Cre Still/Tim Hengst (BC) 8-3
1. Mark Watt (Coker) def. Tom Mittring (BC) 6-1, 6-4
2. Henrik Hellbe (Coker) def. Cre Still (BC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
3. Hunter Horton (Coker) def. JR Davis (BC) 6-2, 6-3
4. Felix Schweyer (Coker) def. Tim Hengst (BC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Will Christiansen (BC) def. Simon Bergbom (Coker), by default
6. Walker Long (Coker) def. Christoph Plasa (BC) 6-3,4-6, 10-3