Still earns win at the No. 1 spot, as Brevard falls to LMUFebruary 11, 2017
BREVARD, N.C. – Freshman Cre Still (Hendersonville, N.C.) defeated LMU’s Joshua Coulthard 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 1 spot to earn Brevard’s only match win of the day. Brevard (1-5) fell to the Railsplitters of Lincoln Memorial (2-0) on Saturday afternoon.
Brevard had several close sets throughout the day. Will Christiansen (Crawford, Miss.) battled LMU’s David Segarra in two tough sets. Segarra won set one, 6-3, and Christiansen fought back in the second set, falling 6-4 at the No. 5 position. Freshman JR Davis (Hixon, Tenn.) fell 6-3 6-3 to Joshua Peress at the No. 3 spot. Tim Hengst (Menden, Germany) had the same result against Lincoln Memorial’s Pepe Batalla at the No. 4 spot. Hengst fell 6-3 in both sets. After falling 6-0 in the first set, Tom Mittring (Bavaria, Germany) won three games in set two, falling to Railsplitters’ Xavier Marti 6-3 at the No. 2 position.
In the doubles competition, Mittring and Davis battled LMU’s Joshua Peress and Xavier Marti to an 8-5 defeat at the No. 1 spot. Cre Still and Will Christiansen had the same result at the No. 2 position falling to David Segarra and Pepe Batalla 8-5 as well. Christoph Plasa (Wegberg, Germany) and Tim Hengst fell to Jake Tuchmann and Carlos Zunino 8-3 at the No. 3 spot in the doubles competition.
Brevard will return to the courts next Saturday, Feb. 18, as they host Lees-McRae in a nonconference match beginning at 1 p.m.
Results LMU 8, Brevard 1
1. Cre Still (BC) def. Joshua Coulthard (LMU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Xavier Marti (LMU) def. Tom Mittring (BC) 6-0, 6-3
3. Joshua Peress (LMU) def. JR Davis (BC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Pepe Batalla (LMU) def. Tim Hengst (BC) 6-3, 6-3
5. David Segarra (LMU) def. Will Christiansen (BC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Moritz Hoerner (LMU) def. Christoph Plasa (BC) 6-2, 6-1
2. David Segarra/Pepe Batalla (LMU) def. Cre Still/Will Christiansen (BC) 8-5