Tennis drops 9-0 match to QueensFebruary 25, 2017
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The Brevard College Tennis team (2-7, 0-4 SAC) fell 9-0 to SAC opponent Queens University (2-1, 2-0 SAC) on Saturday afternoon.
In the doubles competition, Tom Mittring (Bavaria, Germany) and JR Davis (Hixon, Tenn.) played a tough match against Giovanni Setti and Sebastian Meum, falling 8-6 at the No. 1 spot. Will Christiansen (Crawford, Miss.) and Tim Hengst (Menden, Germany) took three games against Andor Vas and Will Roberson 8-3.
Cre Still (Hendersonville, N.C.) fought Jules Athalis at the No. 1 spot. Still took two games in the first set, falling 2-6, and 6-0 in the final set. Mittring battled Paolo Bompieri to three sets. Mittring took set one winning by a score of 6-3 and fell in set two 6-3. The deciding set would go into extra games as Bompieri edged Mittring out 10-7 to take the win at the No. 2 position. At the No. 4 spot, Tim Hengst won three games in the first set against Andor Vas, falling 3-6, 1-6 in set two.
Brevard will take a brief hiatus before traveling to Hilton Head, South Carolina for a spring break tournament. The team will kick things off on March 5, with a showdown against Salem International University.
Results: Queens 9 - Brevard 1
2. Jules Athalis/Joel Dunlap def. Cre Still/Christoph Plasa 8-0
1. Jules Athalis def. Cre Still 6-2, 6-0
2. Paolo Bompieri def. Tom Mittring 3-6, 6-3, 10-7
3. Agustin Aran def. JR Davis 6-0, 6-0
4. Andor Vas def. Tim Hengst: 6-3, 6-1
5. Zachary Williams def. Will Christiansen: 6-1, 6-0
6. Joel Dunlap def. Christoph Plasa: 6-2, 6-1