Brevard, N.C. - The Tornados took the top two doubles matches and the top four singles matches, and Elise Labus won on court no. 6 as Brevard defeated visiting Tusculum on Saturday afternoon, 7-2.
Brevard improves to 11-5, 4-0 in SAC play, while Tusculum falls to 9-7, 3-4 in conference competition.
Lindsay Shaeffer and Lindsay Hostetter opened up the scoring on court no. 1 in doubles action, defeating Courtney Conley and Taylor Patterson, 8-2, while Claire Dillman and Michelle Prata dispatched Katie Hillis and Kristen Keefer on court no. 2, 8-3. Blake Thompson and Megan Buckmaster put Tusculum on the board in their victory on court no. 3 over Labus and Jennifer Nyman, winning 8-3 to put the score at 2-1 heading into singles play.
Shaeffer and Dillman won on courts 1 and 3 in matching 6-3, 6-1 victories over Conley and Buckmaster, while Hostetter defeated Patterson on court no. 2, 6-2, 6-4. Prata ran into trouble in her first set before defeating Keefer 7-6 and completed the two set win with her 6-4 victory in the second set. Labus completed the Brevard victories on the court with her 6-3, 7-5 victory over Hillis.
Thompson won the lone singles point for the Pioneers, defeating Nyman 6-0, 6-1 on court no. 5.
Brevard remains at home and in conference play tomorrow afternoon as they host Carson-Newman College at the McCoy Tennis Complex. Doubles competition is set to begin at 1 p.m.
1. Lindsay Shaeffer (BCW) def. Courtney Conley (TCW) 6-3, 6-1
2. Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) def. Taylor Patterson (TCW) 6-2, 6-4
3. Claire Dillman (BCW) def. Megan Buckmaster (TCW) 6-3, 6-1
4. Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Kristen Keefer (TCW) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
5. Blake Thomspon (TCW) def. Jennifer Nyman (BCW) 6-0, 6-1
6. Elise Labus (BCW) def. Katie Hillis (TCW) 6-3, 7-5
1. Lindsay Hostetter/Lindsay Shaeffer (BCW) def. Courtney Conley/Taylor Patterson (TCW) 8-2
2. Claire Dillman/Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Katie Hillis/Kristen Keefer (TCW) 8-3
3. Blake Thomspon/Megan Buckmaster (TCW) def. Elise Labus/Jennifer Nyman (BCW) 8-3