Brevard, N.C. - The Brevard College men’s tennis team took four out of the first five matches, but #29 Anderson rallied to take the singles matches on courts no. 1, 3, 5 and 6, to hand the Tornados their first conference defeat of the season on Tuesday afternoon, 5-4.
Brevard falls to 13-6, 7-1 SAC, while Anderson improves to 9-8, 7-2 in conference play.
The #19 regionally ranked Tornados took the first point of the match over the Trojans as Scott McCormick and Beau Wills teamed up on court no. 1 to defeat #15 Stan Atema and Daniel Gonzalez, 8-5. Sam MacNeil and Cole Altizer finished shortly after, putting BC up 2-0 with their 8-5 victory on court no. 2, but the Trojans answered on court no. 3 as Trey Halbauer and Jerome Branker topped Jarred Fisher and Shane Apps, 8-3.
In singles competition, MacNeil took the first point on court no. 2 as the freshman from Dunfermline, Scotland remained undefeated on the season in South Atlantic Conference play, improving to 8-0 with his 6-2, 6-0 victory over Ilya Zakharov. Altizer followed with a 6-0, 6-4 win on court no. 4 over Daniel Gonzalez as the senior recorded a win in his last match at the McCoy Tennis Complex.
With BC needing to win only one more match to take the victory over the Trojans, Anderson rallied back as Loic Ambrose recorded the point on court no. 5, defeating Fisher 6-2, 6-0. Deni Mehagic topped Wills on court no. 3 in straight sets to put Anderson back within striking distance.
The final two matches went into the third set. McCormick and Atema traded the first two sets on court no. 1 with McCormick winning the first 6-4, while Atema rallied back to even it up after his 6-2 victory. In the final set, Atema closed out the match with a 6-3 win to even the overall match at four apiece.
Apps also won the first set on court no. 6 for BC, but Halbauer took the next two sets, 6-2, 6-3 to give Anderson the 5-4 victory.
The Tornados now turn their sights to Wingate University this weekend, with the victor of the match claiming the South Atlantic Conference regular season title and the #1 seed in the 2011 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference tournament. First serve between the Tornados and the Bulldogs at the WU Tennis Complex is set for 1 p.m.
1. Stan Atema (AUM) def. Scott McCormick (BCM) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Ilya Zakharov (AUM) 6-2, 6-0
3. Deni Mehagic (AUM) def. Beau Wills (BCM) 6-2, 7-6
4. Cole Altizer (BCM) def. Daniel Gonzalez (AUM) 6-0, 6-4
5. Loic Ambrose (AUM) def. Jarred Fisher (BCM) 6-2, 6-0
6. Trey Halbauer (AUM) def. Shane Apps (BCM) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
1. Scott McCormick/Beau Wills (BCM) def. #15 Stan Atema/Daniel Gonzalez (AUM) 8-5
2. Sam MacNeil/Cole Altizer (BCM) def. Ilya Zakharov/Deni Mehagic (AUM) 8-5
3. Trey Halbauer/Jerome Branker (AUM) def. Jarred Fisher/Shane Apps (BCM) 8-3