Brevard, N.C. - Lindsay Hostetter rallied back to put the Tornados up with her three set victory on court no. 2 and Claire Dillman clinched the victory for Brevard with her three-set win on court no. 3 as the Tornados defeated Anderson University on Tuesday afternoon, 6-3, setting up a winner-take-all showdown at Wingate University this week for the regular season conference title.
The Tornados improve to 14-6, 7-1 in conference play, while the #12 regionally ranked Trojans fall to 9-7, 6-3 in the SAC.
The Trojans took the first point of the match in doubles competition on court no. 3 as Shelby Anderson and Julie Halbert topped Elise Labus and Jennifer Nyman, 8-2. Lindsay Shaeffer and Hostetter tied up the match on court no. 1 with their 8-4 victory, while Dillman and Michelle Prata gave Brevard the 2-1 advantage with their 8-4 victory on court no. 2.
In singles action, Lauren Trumbull tied the match up again, topping Prata, 6-1, 6-3 on court no. 4. The loss was Prata’s first SAC defeat of the season as the freshman from Chapel Hill, N.C. fell to 7-1 in SAC play on the year.
Anderson continued the Trojans run with her 6-1, 6-2 victory on court no. 5, but Shaeffer tied the match up again, defeating Camie Beaulieu-Brunet 7-6, 6-2 to regain the momentum for Brevard.
Hostetter battled Avery Owens on court no. 2 in the defining match of the afternoon. Hostetter led 5-2 in the first set, but Owens rallied to take the next five games, going up 1-0 over Hostetter with the 7-5 victory. However, the junior from Livonia, Mich. won the second set 6-2 and captured the third with her 6-3 win to put Brevard within one match of taking home the win.
Dillman delivered on court no. 4, following Hostetter in dropping her first set 6-4, but Dillman rallied back to defeat Halbert 6-3, 6-3 to clinch the match for the Tornados.
Labus and Emily Weiland closed out the match on court no. 6 in a light rain, with the duo splitting the first two sets as Labus won set one, 7-6, and Weiland rallied to take the second one 6-3. Labus and Weiland battled back and forth in the final set before the BC sophomore captured the win in the tiebreaker, 7-6.
The Tornados travel to take on the Wingate Bulldogs this weekend at the WU Tennis Complex, with the winner of the match claiming the top seed at the 2011 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference tournament and the overall regular season team title. First serve in doubles competition is set to begin at 1 p.m.
1. Lindsay Shaeffer (BCW) def. Camie Beaulieu-Brune (AUW) 7-6, 6-2
2. Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) def. Avery Owens (AUW) 5-7, 6-2, 6-3
3. Claire Dillman (BCW) def. Julie Halbert (AUW) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Lauren Trumbull (AUW) def. Michelle Prata (BCW) 6-1, 6-3
5. Shelby Anderson (AUW) def. Jennifer Nyman (BCW) 6-1, 6-2
6. Elise Labus (BCW) def. Emily Weiland (AUW) 7-6, 3-6, 7-6
1. Lindsay Shaeffer/Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) def. Emily Weiland/Camie Beaulieu-Brune (AUW) 8-2
2. Claire Dillman/Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Avery Owens/Lauren Trumbull (AUW) 8-4
3. Shelby Anderson/Julie Halbert (AUW) def. Elise Labus/Jennifer Nyman (BCW) 8-2