Thursday, September 1, 2011


Brevard falls to visiting Erskine, 3-2, on Thursday afternoon

Brevard, N.C. - The Tornados held a 2-1 lead at the half in their first action of the 2011 season behind goals by Francie Blair and Chelsea Freeman, but the visiting Flying Fleet mounted a comeback in the second half before Molly Harpe found the net with one minute left in the second overtime period, handing Erskine the 3-2 victory.

Brevard (0-1) opened the contest with a pair of shots by Elena Crowe in the first seven minutes of the contest, but Erskine (1-0) struck first on the scoreboard as Emily Brown rifled a shot in from 25 yards out, just over the outstretched hand of the Brevard goalkeeper Brittany Webster at the 16:16 mark to put the Flying Fleet up 1-0.

The teams traded shots throughout the first half before Blair found twine for the Tornados at the 37:45 mark. The sophomore from Umatilla, Fla. raced in from the right side of the goal box, following the deflection from Alyssa Caracena’s shot on goal, placing it past the diving Flying Fleet keeper and into the net, tying the match at 1 apiece.

Brevard took the lead less than three minutes later as Rachael Laughlin’s shot on goal was tipped and ricocheted off the top bar, right to Freeman’s feet and the senior from Charlotte, N.C. tapped the ball into the net to put the Tornados up 2-1 at the 40:08 mark.

The Flying Fleet knotted the game up at 2 at the 76:01 mark as Emily Wentzky tracked down the ball in a scramble in front of the net. In the ensuing confusion, the senior placed the ball in the net past BC’s Crissy Moran, tying the game up.

Both sides had chances to put the game away in regulation, but Moran stopped a pair of Erskine attempts and Erskine keeper Katie Lyle tracked down Bailey Varley’s shot, sending the game into overtime.

Erskine fired a shot off in the first 19 seconds of the overtime period, and Freeman attempted a shot at the 95:11 mark, but neither team mounted a threat in the first extra session.

In the second overtime period, with time winding down, the Tornados attempted to clear the ball, but it was tracked down by Harpe and the junior from Anderson, S.C. connected on the golden goal from about 20 yards out, over the outstretched hands of Moran and into the back of the net with 1:09 left on the clock, ending the match.

The Tornados are back in action this weekend at the BC Soccer Field as they play host to King College in a non-conference match. Kickoff between Brevard and King is set for 1 p.m.