Cullowhee, N.C. - Brevard took two of the three doubles matches and Elise Labus clinched the match at no. 4 singles as the Tornados downed NCAA Division I Western Carolina University on Thursday afternoon, 5-2.
Claire Dillman, Labus and Jennifer Nyman all took their singles matches against the Catamounts (0-3) and Brevard (2-0) won two matches by forfeit as Western Carolina fielded five athletes as the Tornados recorded their first win against an NCAA Division I opponent for the first time in program history.
Western Carolina started off taking the first doubles match of the afternoon as Ainhoa Iglesias Diaz and Karen Jimenez topped Dillman and Michelle Prata on court no. 1, 8-6. Brevard bounced back to even doubles play on court no. 2 as Lindsay Hostetter and Nyman topped Megan McLinden and Katie Barry, 8-1. The third and clinching match in doubles play went to the Tornados on court no. 3 as Brevard took the point as Western Carolina was unable to field a team.
Handed a point on court no. 6, Nyman put the Tornados within one point of clinching the match, topping Walters on court no. 5 in straight sets with a 6-0, 6-0 victory. Labus followed with the match-clinching victory, topping Barry on court no. 4, winning 6-1, 6-2 to give Brevard the win.
Western battled back with wins on court no. 2 and 3 as Jimenez and McLinden gave the Catamounts straight set victories, but Dillman closed out the match with a three-set victory on court no. 1 topping Diaz 2-6, 6-4, 10-6.
Brevard returns home on Sunday, February 26th as the Tornados host Young Harris College at the McCoy Tennis Complex. First serve in doubles competition between the Tornados and the Mountain Lions is set for 1 p.m.
1. Claire Dillman (BCW) def. Ainhoa Iglesias Diaz (WCU) 2-6, 6-4, 10-6
2. Karen Jimenez (WCU) def. Michelle Prata (BCW) 6-1, 6-1
3. Megan McLinden (WCU) def. Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) 6-0, 6-1
4. Elise Labus (BCW) def. Katie Barry (WCU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Jennifer Nyman (BCW) def. Sarah Walters (WCU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Ellie Bartholomew (BCW) def. Jessica Swan (WCU) 1-0
1. Ainhoa Iglesias Diaz/Karen Jimenez (WCU) def. Michelle Prata/Claire Dillman (BCW) 8-6
2. Lindsay Hostetter/Jennifer Nyman (BCW) def. Megan McLinden/Katie Barry (WCU) 8-1
3. Elise Labus/Ellie Bartholomew (BCW) def. Sarah Walters/Jessica Swan (WCU) 1-0