Hilton Head Island, S.C. - St. Joseph’s College took the Tornados to the limit on Sunday afternoon, but Rob Havens rallied to lead Brevard to the 5-4 victory over the Pumas, defeating Carl Fisher in the third set tiebreaker to give Brevard the victory in their first match during Spring Break.
Brevard improves to 3-3 on the season, while St. Joseph’s falls to 8-5 overall.
Sam MacNeil and Beau Wills put the Tornados up early, topping Joseph Bomben and Adam Meeker on court no. 1 as the Tornados topped the Pumas duo 8-3. Fisher and Joseph Scott evened the match on court no. 3, topping George Finch and Jonathon Lavelle 8-5, and Seth Arthur and Danny James gave SJC the 2-1 lead heading into singles play as they topped Rory Northam and Stefano Giovanolli 8-5.
MacNeil evened the score with a 6-1, 6-2 victory on court no. 1 over Bomben, and Wills followed with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Arthur to put Brevard back in the lead. Finch put the Tornados within one match of taking the contest, topping Meeker on court no. 5, 6-3, 6-2.
St. Joseph’s rallied back as James topped Northam in a third set tiebreaker, taking the match 6-0, 3-6, 10-6, and five minutes later Scott topped Giovanolli on court no. 4 in a tiebreaker in the third set, 3-6, 6-3, 10-6, send the crowd to watch the deciding match on court no. 6.
Havens rallied from a 5-0 deficit to send the first set to a tiebreaker before going down 1-0 as Fisher took the point, 7-6. Another tiebreaker in the second set evened the match as Havens topped Fisher 7-6, and the junior from Sullivan’s Island closed out the match, taking the third set tiebreaker 10-2 in giving the Tornados the victory.
Brevard continues their action at Hilton Head Island over Spring Break tomorrow afternoon as they take on Ashford, with doubles competition set to begin at 2 p.m.
1. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Joseph Bomben (SJC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Seth Arthur (SJC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Danny James (SJC) def. Rory Northam (BCM) 6-0, 3-6, 10-6
4. Joseph Scott (SJC) def. Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 3-6, 6-3, 10-6
5. George Finch (BCM) def. Adam Meeker (SJC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Rob Havens (BCM) def. Carl Fisher (SJC) 6-7, 7-6, 10-2
1. Sam MacNeil/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Joseph Bomben/Adam Meeker (SJC) 8-3
2. Seth Arthur/Danny James (SJC) def. Rory Northam/Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 8-5
3. Carl Fisher/Joseph Scott (SJC) def. George Finch/Jonathon Lavelle (BCM) 8-5