Hilton Head, S.C. - Brevard College swept all six singles matches with George Finch clinching the commanding 8-1 victory for the Tornados over the Ashford Saints on Monday afternoon.
Brevard improves to 4-3 on the season, while Ashford falls to 5-2.
Beau Wills opened the scoring on the afternoon giving the Tornados their first point of the match as he topped Alvaro Merino on court no. 2, 6-2, 6-1. Sam MacNeil followed with a straight set 6-2, 6-1 victory on court no. 1 over Carlos Pico, while Rob Havens continued his recent hot streak, topping Jake Dunn on court no. 6, 6-0, 7-5 to put Brevard up 3-0 after the first three matches.
Rory Northam kept the ball rolling in Brevard’s favor with a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Moises Hernandez on court no. 4, before Finch clinched the match cinching the Tornados victory in taking the 6-4, 6-1 win on court no. 5 over Diego Aviles. Stefano Giovanolli gave Brevard the singles sweep, coming from behind after dropping the first set 7-5 to Luis Castillo, as the freshman rallied to take the next set 6-3, winning the tiebreaker 10-7, sending the teams in doubles play.
MacNeil and Wills kept Brevard undefeated on the afternoon as the Tornados duo topped Pico and Hernandez on court no. 1, 8-1. Giovanolli and Northam gave Brevard the 8-0 advantage with their 8-4 victory over Merino and Castillo on court no. 2, but Dunn and Aviles prevented the Brevard sweep, taking the final point of the match on court no. 3, topping Havens and Jonathon Lavelle, 8-6.
Brevard returns to action tomorrow morning in Hilton Head, S.C. as they take on Palm Beach Atlantic. Doubles play between the Tornados and the Sailfish is set for 8:15 a.m.
1. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Carlos Pico (ASH) 6-2, 6-1
2. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Alvaro Merino (ASH) 6-2, 6-1
3. Rory Northam (BCM) def. Moises Hernandez (ASH) 7-5, 6-4
4. Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) def. Luis Castillo (ASH) 5-7, 6-3, 10-7
5. George Finch (BCM) def. Diego Aviles (ASH) 6-4, 6-1
6. Rob Havens (BCM) def. Jake Dunn (ASH) 6-0, 7-5
1. Sam MacNeil/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Carlos Pico/Moises Hernandez (ASH) 8-1
2. Stefano Giovanolli/Rory Northam (BCM) def. Alvaro Merino/Luis Castillo (ASH) 8-4
3. Jake Dunn/Diego Aviles (ASH) def. Rob Havens/Jonathon Lavelle (BCM) 8-6