Hilton Head, S.C. - Claire Dillman and Michelle Prata clinched the Tornados victory on Friday afternoon as Brevard closed out their Spring Break trip in style with a 6-3 victory over the St. Joseph’s Pumas.
Brevard improves to 6-4 on the season, while St. Joseph’s falls to 10-6 overall.
Singles action started the afternoon for the teams, with St. Joseph’s striking first as Katee Sanderson topped Lindsay Hostetter on court no. 1, 6-0, 6-0. Claire Dillman evened the match on court no. 2 with a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Cynthia Kegley, while Michelle Prata pushed the Tornados into the lead with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Debra Easton-Bates.
Elise Labus and Jennifer Nyman continued the Tornados winning streak, pushing Brevard within one point of the victory with straight set victories on courts 4 and 5 as Labus topped Brooke Foltz 6-4, 6-1, while Nyman downed Katie Guernsey, 6-2, 6-1. St. Joseph’s took the final point in singles due to a forfeited match, sending the teams into doubles play with Brevard leading 4-2.
Dillman and Prata closed out the Brevard victory with an 8-1 win on court no. 1 over Sanderson and Claeys, and Nyman and Hostetter added the Tornados lead with an 8-2 win over Foltz and Guernsey. Easton-Bates and Natalie Burgeson gave the Pumas their final point of the match with an 8-2 win on court no. 3.
Brevard remains on the road as they open South Atlantic Conference play in Harrogate, Tenn. against Lincoln Memorial on Monday, March 12th. First serve in doubles play between the Tornados and the Railsplitters is set for 2 p.m.
1. Katee Sanderson (SJC) def. Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) 6-0, 6-0
2. Claire Dillman (BCW) def. Cynthia Kegley (SJC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Debra Easton-Bates (SJC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Elise Labus (BCW) def. Brooke Foltz (SJC) 6-4, 6-1
5. Jennifer Nyman (BCW) def. Katie Guernsey (SJC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Emily Claeys (SJC) def. No player (BCW), by forfeit
1. Claire Dillman/Michelle Prata (BCW) def. Katee Sanderson/Emily Claeys (SJC) 8-1
2. Jennifer Nyman/Lindsay Hostetter (BCW) def. Brooke Foltz/Katie Guernsey (SJC) 8-2
3. Debra Easton-Bates/Natalie Burgeson (SJC) def. Ellie Bartholomew/Elise Labus (BCW) 8-2