Jefferson City, Tenn. - Sam MacNeil opened his reign as SAC Player of the Week with a straight set victory in singles play and Beau Wills and George Finch also recorded individual wins, but Garret Duron topped Rob Havens on court no. 6 to clinch the match for the Eagles as Brevard fell on the road to Carson-Newman, 5-4.
Brevard falls to 6-6, 0-1 in the SAC, while Carson-Newman improves to 4-2, 1-0 in conference play.
MacNeil and Wills opened conference play with a win on court no. 1in doubles play, topping Dusty Davis and Eric Mueller 8-4 to give the Tornados their first point. However, the Eagles rallied on courts 2 and 3 as Paul Birdsong and Warren McClure topped Jonathon Lavelle and Rory Northam 8-5 and Derek Holdway and Austin Mackay defeated Finch and Stefano Giovanolli, 8-1 to give C-N the 2-1 edge heading into singles play.
MacNeil won his seventh consecutive singles match, topping Davis on court no. 1 in straight sets 6-0, 6-3, while Wills topped McClue on court no. 2 with matching 6-4, 6-4 scores for the singles win. Finch won his match on court no. 5 in a three set thriller, taking the first set 6-4, dropping the second to Mueller on court no. 2, before winning the deciding set 6-2 for the final BC point of the match.
Holdway and Birdsong took match wins on courts 3 and 4, before Duron clinched the Eagles victory with a 6-0, 6-0 win on court no. 6 for the Carson-Newman conference win.
Brevard returns home to the McCoy Tennis Complex on Saturday, March 17th, as the Tornados host Mount Olive College for a non-conference match. First serve in doubles play between the Tornados and the Trojans is set for noon.
1. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Dusty Davis (CNM) 6-0, 6-3
2. Beau Wills (BCM) def. Warren McClure (CNM) 6-4, 6-4
3. Derek Holdway (CNM) def. Rory Northam (BCM) 6-2, 6-2
4. Paul Birdsong (CNM) def. Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 6-0, 6-0
5. George Finch (BCM) def. Eric Mueller (CNM) 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
6. Garret Duron (CNM) def. Rob Havens (BCM) 6-0, 6-0
1. Sam MacNeil/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Dusty Davis/Eric Mueller (CNM) 8-4
2. Paul Birdsong/Warren McClure (CNM) def. Jonathon Lavelle/Rory Northam (BCM) 8-5
3. Derek Holdway/Austin Mackay (CNM) def. George Finch/Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 8-1