Brevard, N.C. - Sam MacNeil and Rory Northam battled the Tornados to match point against the visiting Catawba Indians, but Thomas Mitchell defeated Beau Wills on court no. 2 in a two-hour, three-set match to give the Indians the 5-4 victory at the McCoy Tennis Complex on Monday afternoon.
Brevard falls to 7-11, 1-4 in the conference with the loss, while Catawba improves to 16-8, 4-5 in SAC competition.
Wills and MacNeil continued their stretch of undefeated play in SAC doubles, topping Mitchell and Uri Yarkoni on court no. 1, 8-4, to give Brevard the early lead and George Finch and Stefano Giovanolli followed with an 8-6 win on court no. 3, giving the BC freshmen duo their first conference doubles win of the season. Alex Macdonald and Matthew Nicholson kept the Tornados roll in check, winning their match on court no. 2 over Northam and Jonathon Lavelle, 8-3, to send the teams into singles action with Brevard holding the 2-1 lead.
In singles action, Catawba took the bottom three flights as Nicholson, Yarkoni and Kevin Budrawich won their matches in straight sets, putting the Indians within one match of winning the contest.
Northam forestalled the Indians onslaught, stemming the tide with a 7-6, 6-2 victory on court no. 3 over Jess Goodall, while MacNeil improved to 5-0 in conference play and 14-0 in his career in SAC singles action with a 7-5, 6-2 victory over Macdonald on court no. 1.
All eyes turned to the final match of the day as Wills took the first set on court no. 2, 7-6. Mitchell built a 4-1 lead in the second set, but the BC sophomore battled back, cutting the deficit to 6-5 before falling 7-5 to even the match. In the deciding third set, Mitchell held off Wills, breaking serve in the final game to clinch the Indians victory with a 7-5 win.
Brevard remains at home in South Atlantic Conference play as the Tornados welcome Mars Hill College to the McCoy Tennis Complex on Saturday, April 7th. First serve on Senior Day, as the Tornados recognize seniors Jonathon Lavelle and Jarred Fisher before the match, is set for 2 p.m.
1. Sam MacNeil (BCM) def. Alex Macdonald (CATAWBA) 7-5, 6-2
2. Thomas Mitchell (CATAWBA) def. Beau Wills (BCM) 6-7, 7-5, 7-5
3. Rory Northam (BCM) def. Jess Goodall (CATAWBA) 7-6, 6-2
4. Matthew Nicholson (CATAWBA) def. Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) 6-4, 6-3
5. Uri Yarkoni (CATAWBA) def. George Finch (BCM) 6-1, 6-4
6. Kevin Budrawich (CATAWBA) def. Rob Havens (BCM) 6-1, 6-2
1. Sam MacNeil/Beau Wills (BCM) def. Thomas Mitchell/Uri Yarkoni (CATAWBA) 8-4
2. Alex Macdonald/Matthew Nicholson (CATAWBA) def. Rory Northam/Jonathon Lavelle (BCM) 8-3
3. George Finch/Stefano Giovanolli (BCM) def. Corey Eldridge/Jess Goodall (CATAWBA) 8-6