The Brevard College women’s soccer team wraps up a two-match home stint when it takes on Erskine Saturday at 2 p.m. at Brevard College Soccer Field.
• The Tornados seek consecutive wins for the first time since 2009 when it reeled off four straight to start the season.
• On Thursday, BC topped King, 3-1, in its season opener to exact revenge following a 2-0 loss to the Lady Tornado last season. Transfers Sarah Fonger, Kasi Benskin and Yuki Soga played a large role as Fonger netted the go-ahead goal in the 22nd minute, while Benskin scored a goal following a deflected shot off the foot of Fonger. Soga gathered an assist on the Tornados third goal when she found Katherine Nickels in the middle of the field.
• Senior Brittany Webster seeks to continue her outstanding career after claiming the saves leader title in the SAC during the 2012 season. Webster fell 75 seconds shy of a shutout, but made an incredible save on a penalty kick in the 64th minute.
• Six players had at least two shots Thursday, while BC put 12 of its 15 shots on goal.
• This marks the fourth meeting in four years for the two squads. Last season’s matchup ended in a tie, while Erksine won in 2011 and BC took the 2010 decision, 5-3.
• Last week, Brevard was tabbed to finish 12th in the 2013 preseason coaches’ poll in the South Atlantic Conference while defending champion Lenoir Rhyne earned the top spot.
• The Tornados will be led by fifth-year coach Shigeyoshi Shinohara. Shinohara’s squad returns 16 players from last season.
• Brevard has made admission free for all home games this season at the Brevard College Soccer Field. Fans are encouraged to come out and support the Tornados all season long on campus.