The Brevard College men’s soccer team returns home to open South Atlantic Conference play against Queens Sunday at 4:30 p.m. at Brevard Soccer Field in Brevard, N.C. The match was scheduled for Saturday at 4:30 p.m., but was moved due to inclement weather.
• The Tornados dropped a 6-0 decision at Winthrop Thursday evening. The Eagles scored four goals in the first 11 minutes and outshot the Tornados, 21-2, on the evening.
• BC matched its win total from last season (two), but has suffered consecutive shutout losses.
• BC is 2-0 at home this season compared to 0-3 on the road. The Tornados are in a stretch of four games in eight days.
• Queens enters the match with a 4-1, 1-0 SAC record following a 3-0 victory against North Greenville Wednesday evening. The Royals have won three of their four matches by a 3-0 score. The Royals offense has been outstanding in the early portion of the season by outshooting their opponents, 80-43, including a 40-19 advantage in the first half.
• The Royals offense is led by Erick Suarez, who is the reigning SAC Player of the Week, and paces the squad with four goals. Thiago Andrade leads the team in points with 10 (three goals and four assists). Queens will be on the road for the first time this season.
• This marks the fifth meeting in the last six seasons between the two teams. Queens leads the series 3-1 and blanked BC last season, 5-0, but Brevard earned a 1-0 victory in 2010.
• Heath Turner, Alec Goettl, and Ryan McPhillips are the only Tornados to start every match this season. Paulo Silva (nine) leads the team in shots and McPhillips (seven) sits third on the squad. Turner leads the South Atlantic Conference with 27 saves.
• BC head coach and Athletic Director Juan Mascaro enters his seventh season at the helm for the Tornados.
• Brevard was tabbed to finish 12th in the 2013 preseason coaches’ poll in the South Atlantic Conference while nationally-ranked No. 12 Wingate earned the top spot.