BREVARD, N.C.- The Brevard College freshmen tandum of Ryan McPhillips and Daniel Wheldon accounted for the Tornado offense, but BC surrendered a hat trick to Queens’ Erick Suarez and dropped its South Atlantic Conference opener, 5-2, Sunday afternoon at Brevard Soccer Field in Brevard, N.C.
The Royals improve to 5-1-0 and remain unbeaten (2-0-0) in conference play while BC drops to 2-4-0, 0-1-0 on the season.
The Royals Suarez proved his worth as reigning SAC Player of the Week when he gave Queens an early 1-0 advantage in the 26th minute when he scored on a blast into the upper right 90.
Queens extended its lead when Corey Brown found Thiago Andrade to make it a 2-0 match. However, BC freshman Daniel Wheldon cut the deficit to one, 2-1, when he collected a back-heel pass from Drew Gallowitch and netted his first collegiate goal.
In the 78th minute, Queens sealed the victory when it scored three goals over a span of 2:21 to make it a 5-1 game. Suarez was responsible for two of them while Hunter Bigler netted a goal from 15 yards out.
BC wouldn’t fold as Ryan McPhillips scored his second goal of the season when he beat the Royals netminder Montrell Morgan in a one-on-one situation while BC trimmed the lead to 5-2 in the 86th minute. Morgan VanCamp nearly missed his first goal of the season when his header missed by less than a foot.
BC goalie Heath Turner earned three saves while Morgan stopped six shots. Queens held the advantage in shots, 13-12, and corner kicks, 5-4.
The Tornados hit the road for a match against conference foe Newberry at 4 p.m. in Newberry, S.C. on Wednesday.
Queens (5-1-0, 2-0-0 SAC)
vs. Brevard College (2-4-0, 0-1-0 SAC)
Date: Sep 22, 2013 Attendance:
Weather: 72 degrees and sunny
Goals by period 1
Queens.............. 1 4 - 5
Brevard College..... 0 2 - 2
1. 26:56 QUEENS Erick Suarez (1) (Thiago Andrade) - feed from 17 shot into upper right 90
2. 52:21 QUEENS Thiago Andrade (1) (Corey Brown)
3. 60:31 BC Daniel Wheldon (1) (Drew Gallowitch) - flick from 9 inside box, 4 beats goalie on bottom left side
4. 78:05 QUEENS Erick Suarez (2) (Corey Brown) - 12 draws out goalie, feed to 7 into wide open net
5. 79:20 QUEENS Hunter Bigler (1) (Erick Suarez) - feed from 7 to left side, 15 yds out beat goalie left side
6. 80:26 QUEENS Erick Suarez (3) (Thiago Andrade) - shot from 15 yrds out beats goalie on left side
7. 86:33 BC Ryan Mcphillips (2) (Italo Cortez) - feed from 16, 11 beats goalie 1v1
Shots: Queens 13, Brevard
Saves: Queens 6 (Montrell Morgan 6), Brevard College 3 (Heath Turner 3)