The Brevard College men’s soccer team hits the road for the third time in four matches when it travels to face South Atlantic Conference foe Newberry Wednesday at Smith Road Complex at 4 p.m. in Newberry, S.C.
• The Tornados fell to Queens in their conference opener, 5-2, Saturday despite goals from Daniel Wheldon and Ryan McPhillips. Queens’ Erick Suarez netted a hat trick to pace the Royals offense and scored two goals in a span of 2:21 late in the second half. Wheldon scored his first goal of his collegiate career in the 60th minute.
• BC (2-4) has matched its win total from last season (two), but has suffered three consecutive losses.
• The Tornados matched their season-high in goals (two) on Saturday while taking 12 shots.
• Heath Turner, Alec Goettl, and McPhillips are the only Tornados to start every match this season. Paulo Silva (10) leads the team in shots and McPhillips (eight) sits tied for second on the squad. 16 different Tornados have taken a shot this year. Turner leads the South Atlantic Conference with 30 saves.
• Newberry enters the match winless (0-6) and has been shutout in consecutive matches including a 4-0 decision at Lincoln Memorial Saturday. The Wolves have been outscored 23-3 and outshot 102-66 during the 2013 campaign.
• The Wolves offense is paced by Graham Jermstad, who is the only player on the team to have double digit shots (19) and leads the team in goals (two).
• This marks the sixth consecutive meeting between the two squads while BC has proven victorious in the last three including a 2-1 victory last year.
• BC head coach and Athletic Director Juan Mascaro enters his seventh season at the helm for the Tornados.