HICKORY, N.C.- The Brevard College (4-9, 1-6 SAC) women’s tennis team won their first South Atlantic Conference match 5-4 against Lenoir-Rhyne (8-11, 1-7 SAC) at Hickory High School on April 4.
The match developed in Brevard’s favor after Katie Daugherty and Michelle Prata beat their L-R opponents, Zorica Djuric and Lela Sparks Thompson, 9-7 in the No.1 spot. While competing in No.2 doubles, Nirvanna Silva and Claudia Hellman finished four ahead at 8-4 to bring BC in the lead at 2-1 to finish doubles.
Prata and Silva continued into their singles matches with another win. Prata played Nateesha Hurtt in No.2 singles, winning 6-1, 6-2, while Silva finished at a 6-4, 6-2 win.
Jule Hermann won her first conference match in singles against Lela Thompson at the No.3 spot. The two went into extra sets after Hermann came back from a 2-6 loss in the first to a 6-1 win in the second. The extra set finished with a 6-3 win for Brevard, rounding out the total team points of 5.
The Tornados will have a day break before they travel to Tusculum on Sunday, April 6 at 2:00 p.m.
Brevard College 5, Lenoir-Rhyne 4
Apr 04, 2014 at Hickory, N.C. (Hickory High School)
1. Zorica Djuric (L-R) def. Katie Daugherty (BCWTEN) 2-6, 7-5, 7-6
2. Michelle Prata (BCWTEN) def. Nateesha Hurtt (L-R) 6-1, 6-2
3. Jule Hermann (BCWTEN) def. Lela Sparks Thompson (L-R) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Lacey Lapp (L-R) def. Claudia Hellman (BCWTEN) 7-5, 6-2
5. Nirvanna Silva (BCWTEN) def. Maggie Brown (L-R) 6-4, 6-2
6. Amanda Bryan (L-R) def. Ana Drummond (BCWTEN) 6-2, 1-6, 10-7
1. Katie Daugherty/Michelle Prata (BCWTEN) def. Zorica Djuric/Lela Sparks Thompson (L-R) 9-7
2. Nirvanna Silva/Claudia Hellman (BCWTEN) def. Nateesha Hurtt/Meaghan Liner (L-R) 8-4
3. Maggie Brown/Lacey Lapp (L-R) def. Jule Hermann/Ana Drummond (BCWTEN) 8-5
Brevard College 4-9, 1-6 SAC
Lenoir-Rhyne 8-11, 1-7 SAC