Tornados Fall to North Georgia College in Final Home Match
Brevard, N.C. – The Brevard College men’s tennis team wrapped up their 2007-08 home slate on Wednesday afternoon, falling to North Georgia College 8-1.
The Tornados fell behind early, falling in all three doubles bouts on the day.
In singles action, the Tornados tried to fight and claw their way back into the match only to drop three close matches and win one bout overall.
BC’s Andrew Thompson played well from start to finish, winning the tiebreaker in both sets to come away with the 7-6 (4), 7-6 (4) win over Grant Partrick of North Georgia.
At the No. 1 slot, the Tornados Konstantin Savelyev battled hard in what proved to be a tough match before dropping the third set super-tiebreaker 10-6 and ultimately losing the match to Gustavo Carballal, 7-5, 6-7 (6), (10-6).
Like Savelyev, Jared Fisher was handed a tough loss at the No. 3 spot, falling to Santiago Carballal, 5-7, 6-3, (10-8), while at the No. 4 position, freshman Cole Altizer was defeated by Samuel Moore of North Georgia, 4-6, 6-3, (10-8).
The loss drops the Tornados to 8-10 on the year as BC heads into their final two matches.
The Tornados will next be in action on Saturday, April 12, as BC hits the road to take on Lincoln Memorial University in Harrogate, T.N. The match is slated for a 2 p.m. start time.
North Georgia 8, Brevard 1
1. (NG) G. Carballal/Partrick def. (BC) Savelyev/Thompson – 8-5
2. (NG) Bal/Lumezeanu def. (BC) Fisher/Altizer – 8-5
3. (NG) S. Carballal/Aguilon def. (BC) Apps/Johnston – 8-0
1. (NG) Gustavo Carballal def. (BC) Konstantin Savelyev – 7-5, 6-7 (6), (10-6)
2. (NG) Santiago Carballal def. (BC) Jared Fisher – 5-7, 6-3, (10-8)
3. (BC) Andrew Thompson def. (NG) Grant Partrick – 7-6 (4), 7-6 (4)
4. (NG) Samuel Moore def. (BC) Cole Altizer – 4-6, 6-3, (10-8)
5. (NG) Vlad Lumezeanu def. (BC) Sam Johnston – 6-0, 6-3
6. (NG) Marijn Bal def. (BC) Shane Apps – 6-3, 6-3