The mission of the NCAA is to maintain intercollegiate athletics as an integral part of the campus educational program and the student-athlete as an integral part of the student body. With this in mind, the CHAMPS/Life Skills Program was created to support the student-athlete development initiatives of NCAA member institutions and to enhance the quality of the student-athlete experience within the context of higher education.
In the process of achieving this mission, the CHAMPS/Life Skills Program will:
• Promote student-athletes' ownership of their academic, athletic, career, personal and community responsibilities.
• Meet the changing needs of student-athletes.
• Promote respect for diversity and inclusion among student-athletes.
• Assist student-athletes in identifying and applying transferable skills.
• Enhance partnerships between the NCAA, member institutions and their communities for the purpose of education.
• Foster an environment that encourages student-athletes to effectively access campus resources.
• Encourage the development of character, integrity and leadership skills.
Participating members in the CHAMPS/Life Skills Program are provided with sample materials and supplemental resources which support a student-athlete's development in five areas: academics, athletics, personal development, career development and community service.
CHAMPS/Life Skills Program Commitment Statements
Commitment to Academic Excellence To support the academic progress of the student-athlete toward intellectual development and graduation.
Commitment to Athletic Excellence To build philosophical foundations for the development of athletic programs that are broad-based, equitable and dedicated to the well-being of the student-athlete.
Commitment to Personal Development To support the development of a well-balanced lifestyle for student-athletes, encouraging emotional well-being, leadership, personal growth and decision-making skills.
Commitment to Career Development To encourage the student-athlete to develop and pursue career and life goals.
Commitment to Service To engage the student-athlete in service to his or her campus and surrounding communities.