BC Women’s Tennis Edged by North Georgia In 5-4 Loss
Brevard, N.C. – In their final home match of the year, the Brevard College women’s tennis team battled North Georgia College to the end before falling to the Lady Saints 5-4 on Wednesday afternoon.
BC fell behind early as they were swept in doubles play by a non-Division I opponent for the first time all season.
Down 3-0 heading into singles play, the Tornados battled back to make the match close, winning four out of the six bouts, coming up just short and ultimately falling 5-4.
Freshman standout Lindsay Shaeffer cruised past her opponent Velina Boteva at the No. 1 spot, winning in straight sets 6-2, 6-1.
At the No. 2 spot, Kimberly Dixon showed mental toughness bouncing back from a first set loss to win the second set 6-4 and the third set super-tiebreaker 10-8, to win the match 6-7 (7-5), 6-4, (10-8), over Katherine Harrison of North Georgia.
The other two wins came in easier fashion, as Kayley Duval defeated Sam Bisset in straight sets 6-4, 6-4 at the No. 3 spot, while Merek Slagle dropped Meredith Cash in straight sets 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 6 singles position.
The loss was the BC women’s first home loss of the season.
The Tornados fell to 13-8 overall on the year and 7-1 at home with the loss.
The Tornados will next be in action on Saturday, April 12, as BC hits the road to take on Lincoln Memorial University in Harrogate, T.N. The match is slated for a 2 p.m. start time.
North Georgia 5, Brevard 4
1. (NG) Smith/Harrison def. (BC) Shaeffer/Dixon – 8-4
2. (NG) Boteva/Dreaden def. (BC) Cooper/Duval – 8-6
3. (NG) Bisset/Murphy def. (BC) Douglas/Slagle – 8-6
1. (BC) Lindsay Shaeffer def. (NG) Velina Boteva – 6-2, 6-1
2. (BC) Kimberly Dixon def. (NG) Katherine Harrison – 6-7 (5), 6-4, (10-8)
3. (NG) Maria Dreaden def. (BC) Sara Douglas – 6-1, 6-3
4. (BC) Kayley Duval def. (NG) Sam Bisset – 6-4, 6-4
5. (NG) Catie Murphy def. (BC) Kimberlee Cooper – 6-1, 6-1
6. (BC) Merek Slagle def. (NG) Meredith Cash – 6-1, 6-1